Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sending data from PIC via parallel port

Status
Not open for further replies.

mado-wardany

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
i want to send 16 bits , 8 bits then 8 bits via parallel port from PIC 16f877 to computer,
plz help me as soon as

after i ask my instructor on this problem he said that i should to create a program for example on VB, to convert the status pins and control pins in parallel port to be as data pins (d0-d7), then, 8 bit via data register (D0-D7), and the 2nd 8 bits via status and control register,

is this true???????

Take a look on the beyond logic site. There is full information on the parallel port.
Not all pins are equal in function.

Have you looked at beyond logic web site?
It has very detailed description and sample code for using the parallel port.
I think they can tell you more than me.

you can send 8 by 8 bits and use any of the status pins as "strobe", when you send the first 8 bits sent it outputs a transition from 0 to 1 then to 0 after a while and when the second 8 bits sent it outputs a transition from 0 to 1 then to 0.
good luck

It's hard to beleive that in this day and age any competent "teacher" would have an assignment where you use the PC's parallel port. They are virtually non-existent - few new computer have them, and as you'll find out the security of modern operating systems makes it difficult to control them. Also, they are wasteful on the PIC-side as they require at least 9 lines to implement 8-bit wide data . Also, I doubt that you'll find many companies that are develioping new products that use the parallel port . There are so many better interfaces that you could be learning about that would benefit when you get into the "real world"; either as an professional or even a hobbyist.

Status
Not open for further replies.