Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sending data from FPGA to PC via PS2 port

Status
Not open for further replies.

szahid

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear friends,

I am currently doing a project, and due to the FPGA board limitations, I have to send data from FPGA to PC via a PS2 port.
I want to ask;

1- Whether its possible or not (sending data from FPGA to PC via PS2 port)?
2- If its possible, what physical connections I have to alter or change? (that is because the FPGA PS2 port and PC PS2 port have sourcing Vcc pins)
3- If points 1 and 2 are solved, and I make a driver on FPGA that sends any keystroke to PC, do I require to keep my FPGA turned ON and the PS2 cable connected at the time of reboot of the PC?
4- Please share any extra information or material which is helpful in writing the required driver/code on FPGA (i.e., sending any keyboard keystroke to PC via FPGA).

Thanks

1 - Yes it is possible, the mouse and keyboard does it, but might take a bit of software on the PC side;
2 - PS2 uses 3 wires, basically (DATA, CLOCK, GND), with a 4th wire for powering the device itself, which you don't need with an external power supply;
3 - a keyboard/mouse is usually reset at pc startup, you need to implement this in you design (if I'm not mistaking there is a command that is sent to the device on the PS2 bus);
4 - google is you friend, you can find the vhdl code for PS2 very easy, also the protocol description is out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back