Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

send data from MATLAB to FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

omerysmi

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is the best way to send data from Matlab to fpga? (Altera DE1)
I need it to control servo motors

Last edited:

What data do you want to send?

What is the best way to send data from Matlab to fpga? (Altera DE1)
I need it to control servo motors

Through UART or Ethernet. If your dev board contains Ethernet, you can use UDP to send through Ethernet or else simply a PC with Serial port is way too easy to implement in FPGA.

And to add to xtcx's comment, MATLAB's instrumentation control toolbox can be used to transfer data in many formats, including Ethernet and serial, between MATLAB and an FPGA.

What data do you want to send?
I get details from a camera and according to this i want to operate servo motors

Through UART or Ethernet. If your dev board contains Ethernet, you can use UDP to send through Ethernet or else simply a PC with Serial port is way too easy to implement in FPGA.
There is not ethernet in my board.

And to add to xtcx's comment, MATLAB's instrumentation control toolbox can be used to transfer data in many formats, including Ethernet and serial, between MATLAB and an FPGA.

The only standard interface exposed by Altera DE1 board is RS-232.

omerysmi already started a thread about it, I presume he has all required infomations https://www.edaboard.com/threads/341672/

Does it safe to do it by using rs232? because i need it to be without no any errors in the transmitted data.

Does there is a better way to do it? maybe with usb? or rs232 is good enough for my purpose? (again, I want to detect some object with a camera, and when i detect the object via MATLAB I want to send data to the fpga for operating the motors).

Last edited:

RS-232 can be secured on the protocol layer, e.g. by CRC. You can use up to 922 kBaud with standard RS-232 adapters, so speed shouldn't be an issue.

RS-232 can be secured on the protocol layer, e.g. by CRC. You can use up to 922 kBaud with standard RS-232 adapters, so speed shouldn't be an issue.

There is a way to do it with usb cable?

USB-to-RS232 bridge seems to be the straightforward solution. You know that we have previously talked about USB communication through USB Blaster in your other thread. But I don't think that you'll like the software overhead.

USB-to-RS232 bridge seems to be the straightforward solution. You know that we have previously talked about USB communication through USB Blaster in your other thread. But I don't think that you'll like the software overhead.
when i use this bridge i send the data in uart protocol(tx, rx..) as usual?

Status
Not open for further replies.