Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Semiconductor physics

Status
Not open for further replies.

miraj

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,
i want to ask the following questions.

1. why the fermi level in Intrinsic semiconductor lies in the middle of the energy band gap?

2. why the fermi level shifts towrads the conduction band in N type semiconductors?

3. why the fermi level shifts towards the valance band in the P type semiconductors?

fermi levels shifts because of increase in number of minority charge carriers.

and for np = ne its in middle

You can think of the Fermi level as the center of gravity of the amount of free charge particles. i.e.
If the Fermi level is in the middle, then there is a balance between the number of free charge particles in the valency band (holes) and the number of free charge particles in the conduction band (electrons).
When it tends to be more shifted towards the valency band then there are more free charge particles in the valency band (holes) than in the conduction band (electrons) and vice versa.

Hope that helped:D

Take a look in this article, I think this can explain your question...

Code:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/solids/fermi.html

Status
Not open for further replies.