Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Self rectification in homemade grid dip meter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have found on the internet this grid dip meter (pdf file) and I have converted it to a grid dip meter that uses self-rectification. I.e. it operates the tube only for a fraction of the time, when the anode voltage is sufficient. At other fractions the voltage is either negative or not sufficient and the tube cuts off or does not operate.
I have been introduced to self-rectification using this video
at around 13 mins.

Will my idea work?
Have I done any mistakes in the circuit (image file)?

Note that I am using a different tube, so I am not sure about it's pin 2 connection.

Attachments

• GridDipMeter.pdf
    23.1 KB · Views: 138
  • grid.PNG
    grid.PNG
    46.5 KB · Views: 170

I'm not sure it will work or what advantage you expect from running it on AC.
The EM84 is a special "magic eye" voltage indicator that uses a specially shaped grid structure to deflect the electron beam away from a fluorescent target. If you don't run it from a constant voltage the deflection will vary with the supply voltage and at best give an indistinct display. It will do something but I'm not sure it will be anything useful!

Brian.

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I think the same, you should go as in the video, using a separate tube for oscillator and the magic eye as "magic eye".
Pin 2 of the EAM86 should be connected to the ground, otherwise the fluorescent field will be shifted from the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back