Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Selective DC power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

oy1987

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am looking for a module that selects automatically between the main power supply (DC supplier), and the backup supply (battery) when my main source is off.
I tried searching for mini power converters or BMS but didn't find what i needed.
If i had more time I would design one myself, but I'm affraid i don't have the time needed (maybe in the future).

Thank you,
Or

What about a simple relay that when the power drops away will switch through the battery?

That's an option.
I thought of this solution, but I thought that a relay may not be quick enough to switch and I need an immediate response.
If you know of a good relay that does that especially for FPGA/MCU boards, I open for suggestions.

Thanks,
Or

Depending on the power consumption of your circuit the hold-up time of capacitors on the input supply side of the circuit may be long enough for the relay to change states.

Last edited:

That's something I wasn't thinking of. Since it is easy to try I will test it.
In the meanwhile I found this: https://goo.gl/zedJzO
It's something called a PicoUPS, and it's almost what I am looking for (I need 5V power supply and I am trying to avoid putting a voltage regulator).
Thanks,
Or

You can use any schottky diode instead of this thing for 35bucks
Also can put a resistor over the diode to charge the battery, when main is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back