Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

selection of microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

saudrehman

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
microcontroller selection

which microcontroller has the following features in order of priority
1)Low power consumption
2)CAN interface
3)I2C interface
4)high speed ADC

mircrocontroller selection

check AT90CAN128,64,32 from atmel (AVR series)

Also check mcu.st.com for STR730 series that have CAN ,and STR712 that have CAN and other things like as I2C,12bitADC ,4 UART,....

They are ARM7 based.

check the motorolla's hc12

I'd suggest using AVR based controllers, unless you need more processing power or memory then your should look in ARM based controllers

If the most important is low power consumption you may consider TI MSP430.
I think they don't have a solution with CAN, but you can implement it by software.
These microncontrollers have very nice features such as hardware multiplier, 12 bit ADC, serial interfaces, etc.

Regards

Mauro

I would go with MSP430 series from TI.
It's all that the latest post said.

I think they don't have a solution with CAN, but you can implement it by software.

I would love to see CAN implemented in software, on a micro. Even if you could do it, what would be left of the micro's processing power and RAM for other things would make it the equivalent of a babbling idiot.

I mean if someone is asking about implementing CAN in a project, then he is no expert in CAN. If he could implement CAN in software on a micro he wouldn't be on this forum asking for advice about CAN. He'd be making a hundred grand a year doing CAN engineering for other people.

Anyway, CAN is a big and complex topic. Just look at the registers of a CAN-enabled micro, look at the CAN standard. And typically they are used in rather sophisticated systems (automobiles for example). Is your project really that complex? Can't a UART or SPI setup where you use one byte for Address and the next byte for data, or one byte - Address, one byte -data length, then data bytes sent - be sufficient?

I would love to see CAN implemented in software, on a micro. Even if you could do it, what would be left of the micro's processing power and RAM for other things would make it the equivalent of a babbling idiot.

Sorry, but I know people that has CAN implemented on PIC micro and use JUST ONE micro for the system, and the system do a lot of things such a PID motor control, LCD control, keyboard control, etc.
And from my point of view, MSP430 is much more powerful than PIC micro.

Regards

Freescale HCS12 support all the requirement, eventhough it is maybe a little more expensive.
you can find small dev kit in www.elektronikladen.de (they have English menu)

regards,

The Philips part LPC2129 has all you need. There is also a good working example
for it in www.keil.com and **broken link removed**

Check TI ARM7 microcontroller TMS470 on web ti.com.

Regards

Dominik

microcontroller form PIc 16/18 have all these features aslo arm7 is useful lpc2129 or lpc2139 can also be used

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back