Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Selection of GSM & GPS Modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

microguy86

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
module gsm selection

Hello everybody!!

I need to find out GSM & GPS Modules which are well suited for my application which is described below:

I am working on a final year project named "Vehicle Tracking System". In this project i am going to use ATMEGA16 or AT89C51 Atmel's microcontroller. Now I have to select GSM & GPS Modules. There can be two approaches... GSM & GPS modules are used saperately or a pakage may be used inwhich both the modules are integrated on the same box. Between these two approaches, which one will be better for my case? Kindly mention reliable Modules which are easy to integrate in the circuitry. One thing has to be kept in mind while giving a suggestion that ATMEGA16 has CMOS compatible inputs/outputs while AT89C51 is TTL compatible. Since this project is going to be sponsered by a tracking company so all of the decissions regarding the selection of components have to be accurate.

In order to achieve my target I need your sincere guide to get this project accomplished.

Thanks

sim548 project

I am using a Gsm module in my project.But my applciation is different .
What I will suggest you is to use a GPS module.Don't go for Gsm module if your purpose is only tracking.But if you want that after tracking of vehicle ,the co-ordinates be transmitted ,use an integrated GSm /gprs module.
So,that after tracking,you can send the co-ordinates of tracked vehicle using sms feature of GSM.
YOu may use any of the modules available in market.Her is a link to a chinese supplier of modules which offers lowest price modules in the world:
**broken link removed**

Added after 4 minutes:

SIM548 GSM/GPRS+GPS Module

SIM548 module is a Quad-Band GSM/GPRS-enabled module that is also equipped with GPS technology for satellite navigation. The compact design of the SIM548 makes it easy to integrate GSM/GPRS & GPS as an all-in-one solution.You will save significantly both time and cost for the integration of additional hardware components.

The combination of both technologies can fit almost all the space requirement in your application, such as PDA phone, GPS hand-held device and other mobile device, it allows vehicles and people to be tracked seamlessly at any location and anytime.

Physical features
Overall dimensions: 34mm x 55mm x 3 mm
Weight: approx. 12g
Normal operation temperature: -20°C to +55°C
Restricted operation temperature:-30°C to -20°Cand +55°C to +80°C
Storage temperature:-40°C to +85°C

GSM/GPRS specifications
Quad-Band 850/900/1800/1900MHz
GPRS multi-slot class 10/8
GPRS mobile station class B
Compliant to GSM phase 2/2+
Class 4(2W @ GSM850/GSM900MHz)
Class 1(1W @ GSM1800/GSM1900MHz)
Control via AT commands (GSM 07.07 and 07.05 and SIMCOM enhanced AT commands)
SIM application tool kit
Low power consumption• Supply voltage range: 3.4V…4.5V

Specifications for GPS
Receiver 20 channels, L1 1575.42MHz, C/A code 1,023MHz chip rate
Accuracy Position 10m CEP,
without SA/Velocity 0.1m/s,
without SA/Time 1μs synchronized to GPS time
DGPS accuracy 1 to 5m, typical, 0.05m/s, typical
Date WGS-84
Acquisition rate (TTFF defined at 95% of first position local station)
Hot start < 1s, average, open sky
Warm start < 38s, average, open sky
Cold start < 42s, average, open sky
Operating voltage 3.3V DC ±5%
Low power consumption about 200mW at 3.3V
Protocols
NMEA-0183
SiRF binary
RTCM SC-104
Crystal oscillator (TCXO),temperature compensated with frequency stability of ±0.5ppm
Memory: On-chip 4Mbit FLASH and 1Mbit SRAM

Status
Not open for further replies.