Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Second edition of a classic filter book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rautio

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
To anyone doing filter design, I strongly recommend the second edition, just out, of a classic filter design book:

RF and Microwave Coupled Line Circuits, by R.K. Mongia, I. J. Bahl, P. Bhartia, and J. Hong, published by Artech House, ISBN-13: 978-1-59693-156-5.

First, full disclosure, both Inder Bahl and Jason Hong are good long-time friends, and good long-time Sonnet users, and they use a lot of Sonnet in the book (I work for Sonnet). They made very extensive revisions of the text, including adding a lot of Sonnet examples. The reason they use Sonnet is the extremely high accuracy and dynamic range possible with Sonnet due, in part, to our unique perfectly calibrated ports. (Practical perfectly calibrated ports are possible only in shielded EM analysis.)

I had the wonderful pleasure of visiting Jason and his students at Heriot-Watt University outside of Edinburgh Scotland last Monday. The visit turned into, it is true, a five hour seminar. More questions and ideas just kept coming out of that group. If anyone is interested in grad school and you want to become a world class filter designer, Heriot-Watt is definitely on the short list!

If you watch the MTT Transactions, you have probably seen a number of Jason's papers. He and his students have come up with some absolutely amazing filter designs, including high temperature superconductor. While visiting I also described tuning methodology to Jason and his group. This is where we put strategically placed groups of perfectly calibrated ports inside a filter and use them to tune a filter up with circuit theory speed, but full EM accuracy. Expect to see some even more amazing things coming out of his group soon.

Anyway, if going to Heriot-Watt University to learn state-of-the-art filter design is not a possiblity and this topic is of interest, they you should definately get a copy of this new edition of a genuine classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.