Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Searching for the ideal optic sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jkon80

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I’m searching for the ideal optic sensor for the following application:
-Capable of picking up a ring of LED’s (red) between the range of 0-6 feet.
-Capable of pin-pointing the center of the light mass.
-The LED’s are arranged around a 10 inch vertical octagonal hoop positioned 18 inch from ground level. The hoop has 8 LED’s total, each placed at each corner of the hoop.
-The sensor will be used to aid in aiming an automated robot that will be shooting ping-pong balls through the hoop.

Any help is appreciated

There may be issues with the surrounding lighting considering the robot will be looking up towards the ceiling lighting.

Thanks,
Jason

Since you know the height, isn't it a simple matter of rotating to the correct position?
I assume that you can't control the led's in the target - like to blink them?
Why would the robot be looking up? Wouldn't it be looking horizontally?
I assume also that the challenge is that you don't know how far away it is and have to account for the trajectory of the pp balls?
Can the robot move closer?
Can you just post the set of rules?
Sounds like a fun project!

This is the link for the competition rules if your interested.

**broken link removed**

If I use an optic sensor I'm considering a CMU Cam, But I might use some other method of finding the hoop. I just wanted to see if you guys had any cool ideas up your sleeve.

Status
Not open for further replies.