Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SDR SDRAM Controller Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

bashwink

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
xilinx sdr sdram controller

Hi,

I'd like to know the applications of SDR SDRAM controller.. I have an SDRAM Controller implemented on FPGA,.. In what kind of application (in field) can we really make an efficient use of these kind of FPGA based SDRAM controllers ? Why not DSPs ??

Kindly reply asap.

I'd like to hear more about SDRAM & Controller.

Regards,
Ashwin

fpga sdram controller

video applications requiring video memory, typical application..

sdram controller

All sorts of signal processing and communication applications need bulk data storage.

You could also use the SDRAM for storing ordinary computer programs and data that are run by a microprocessor core implemented in the FPGA. For example, I've seen Linux running on FPGA boards.

High-speed DSP algorithms typically use many coefficients and tables. That memory is usually *not* external SDRAM. FPGA block RAM is used instead, because it has efficient random access and much higher bandwidth than external SDRAM.

sdr sdram controller

Thanks for the response.....

Well, I was asked a question by a University Professor regarding applications of SDRAM Controllers implemented on FPGA.. I did try to convince him by saying that it can be used for "Digital Image Processing Application / Video application"... But he argued saying that DSPs can do a much better job (like image processing) than FPGAs in the above applications,.. then what was the purpose of implementing a SDRAM Controller on FPGA... He needs justification for this... & i just got stuck here..

Now, I need to convince my Professor in what sense FPGAs (as SDRAM Controllers) can perform better than DSPs as the Controllers..

Are there any other applications wherein FPGA based SDRAM Controllers find wide use ? Please provide information in detail.

Kindly post a reply asap.

Thanks & Regards,
Ashwin

sdram video processing application

I'm afraid that your professor has old-fashioned thinking. Modern FPGAs are enormously more powerful than DSP chips. However, FPGAs are generally more difficult to use than DSPs, so FPGAs aren't for everyone.

I use FPGAs for sonar signal processing. Each data set is up to 50 megabytes. I can't store that inside an FPGA, so I use SDRAM. The SDRAM is also useful for buffering the output data over ethernet.

Here's some Xilinx and _Altera FPGA info for DSP applications, including video processing:
https://www.xilinx.com/products/design_resources/dsp_central/grouping/index.htm
https://www.altera.com/technology/dsp/dsp-index.jsp

sdr sdram controller coregen

Hi..

Thanks for your prompt reply.. Yes as u said,.. i doubt if he has understood the Project. He does ask some Weird Questions,.. but at the same time even I couldn't answer them.

Coming back to the subject, you said SDRAMs can buffer the data over ethernet... Can you please send me some links where I can gather more info about this kind of application? Also I would appreciate you if you can provide sm brief info abt this applcn..

I'm sure again if i get bak saying FPGA based SDRAM controllers are used in Image Processing applctns,.. again it never ends.. hmmm

Please do the needful.. :)

Thanks & Regards,
Ashwin

cpld in sdr application

Try browsing back issues of Xilinx Xcell Journal: **broken link removed**

The magazine describes a wide variety of FPGA applications, including video processing and Ethenet. Many of them use SDRAM. Some articles refer to the SDRAM as DDR, DDR2, and DDR3, so watch for those terms too. Many "embedded processing" applications also use SDRAM. External memory is such a common feature (almost like power supplies) that sometimes it's barely mentioned.

recent applications for sdr

Thanks a ton..

By the way, can I know your name Sir ?

Regards,
Ashwin

sdram bangalore

can u Share some sdram controller code

fpga, sdram controller, xilinx

If you are using Xilinx Fpga ,try coregen feature of ise webpack.

what is application of sdram

echo47 said:
I'm afraid that your professor has old-fashioned thinking. Modern FPGAs are enormously more powerful than DSP chips. However, FPGAs are generally more difficult to use than DSPs, so FPGAs aren't for everyone.

I use FPGAs for sonar signal processing. Each data set is up to 50 megabytes. I can't store that inside an FPGA, so I use SDRAM. The SDRAM is also useful for buffering the output data over ethernet.

Here's some Xilinx and _Altera FPGA info for DSP applications, including video processing:
http://www.xilinx.com/products/design_resources/dsp_central/grouping/index.htm
http://www.@ltera.com/technology/dsp/dsp-index.jsp

Hi Echo47,

I need some help regarding using SDRAM. I've included the necessary board file (.xbd) in my project repository, to be able to choose the SDRAM from the BSB wizard. But then I don't know where to proceed after that. How can I put my C application on the SDRAM? I'm clueless about what I should do! Would you please help me out.

Thanks in advance,
Salma :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back