Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SDD SATA Disk problem using Core Device FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafean

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I'm working with Xilinx Virtex 5 FX200T, using SATA Host Device (I didn't develop it, I'm just using...).

I'm recording data at SSD Disk 512GB (Samsung or Crucial).

After around of 100GB of data recorded, the SSD disk stopped.

I'm investigating and the status register shows 0x80 after that. Also I found the following note SerialATA Standard Revision 2.6:

After a reset or power-on, the host bus adapter emulates the behavior of a traditional ATA system
during device discovery. Immediately after reset, the host adapter shall place the value 7Fh in its
Shadow Status register and shall place the value FFh in all the other Shadow Command Block
registers (FFFFh in the Data register). In this state the host bus adapter shall not accept writes to
the Shadow Command Block Registers. When the Phy detects presence of an attached device,
the host bus adapter shall place the value FFh or 80h in the Shadow Status register, and the host
bus adapter shall now allow writes to the Shadow Command Block Registers. If a device is
present, the Phy shall take no longer than 10 ms to indicate that it has detected the presence of a
device, and has set the BSY bit to one in the Shadow Status register. Placing the value 80h in the
Shadow Status register is recommended as it provides the highest level of BIOS compatibility.
Note that when the BSY bit is set to one in the Shadow Status register all other bits in that
register have indeterminate values. When the attached device establishes communication with
the host bus adapter, it shall send a Register – Device to Host FIS to the host, resulting in the
Shadow Command Block Registers being updated with values appropriate for the attached
device.

I have been trying to reset FPGA, SATA Core Host, but I can't established the communication with SSD Disk, just established link.

Up to now the only solution is turn off the disk and FPGA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.