Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SD & microSD SPI mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

sili

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

Can anybody tell me a difference (if there is any) between SPI mode in SD and microSD card.

Specs from manufacturers seems to be same for both versions (only dimensions differs), but i've found some "microcontroller + SD card" projects that works fine only with "regular" SD.

Thanks.

Hello!

There is no difference between SD and microSD. At least none I am aware of.
Yes, there is one: microSD cannot be copy protected as SD could be (with the
switch-like stuff at its side). But for the software point of view, it's identical.

I have written a few file systems for SD using MSP430 (Texas Instruments),
and the SD part is just the same.

But for SD cards above 2 GB (SDHC), the initialization is different.

Dora

sili

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
actually microSD can be protected with a switch if you use a microSD adapter (the large sized), the ones I have contain a switch on the side for write protection..

Added after 1 minutes:

The code I use was originally meant for a SD card, now it works fine with a microSD card.
I remember increasing the timeout settings for the driver though.

Post some more info on schematics and the firmware you intend to use..

Schematic design is in progress now :)

I intend to connect microSD card in microSD socket to MCF52233 via QSPI. SD card will be the only slave device. I have some layout limitations, so regural size SD is undesirable.

One more, question.
Does the connection require pull up resistors (On CS, MISO, MOSI) ? Since SD card will be the only slave, CS signal will be always active and outputs should never go to high Z => floating shouldn't occur.

Hello!

In this case, it's not a micro sd anymore. You just transform your micro SD
to an SD format.

Dora.

arbj said:
actually microSD can be protected with a switch if you use a microSD adapter (the large sized), the ones I have contain a switch on the side for write protection..

Added after 1 minutes:

The code I use was originally meant for a SD card, now it works fine with a microSD card.
I remember increasing the timeout settings for the driver though.

Post some more info on schematics and the firmware you intend to use..

Status
Not open for further replies.