Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Screws in HFSS antena design

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlock

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can anyone give me the general guidelines on placing screws in an antenna design? The effect they produce..
1. How their positioning and size effects VSWR?
2. How their positioning and size effects antenna gain?
3. Do we have to use standard sizes for simulation in HFSS or just optimize size accordingly to achieve required parameters?
4. What wud be the material assignment? copper or brass?

Uploading n HFSS containing screws for reference will be highly appreciated.......

dear dlock
let us know the specification of your antenna.
about the feeding, and what kind of type antenna that you ask? Microstrip or horn or rhobic, or what?
Your Q seems so Vague.
about the material, it depends on your antenna specification
I have made a simple antenna simulation using Copper and Brass.
As long as the thickness between Brass and copper is Same, there isn't a big difference between both of it.
If your antenna refers to some journal Please upload here. So we can see and try to help you.

Best regards.

Thanks for replying to my post evyta.I am trying to design a horn antenna using N type connector for feed.I have to use screws for impedance matching.Hope now u'll b able to answer my above posted query.Can you also please upload some HFSS file as well that may serve as reference.

Thanks for replying to my post evyta.I am trying to design a horn antenna using N type connector for feed.I have to use screws for impedance matching.Hope now u'll b able to answer my above posted query.Can you also please upload some HFSS file as well that may serve as reference.

Hi dlock,

What do you mean by screws??? Do you mean connectors? IF you are talking about antenna excitation using '50ohms' connectors then there is no need to design such a connector in 'HFSS' as it will be a time waste. Just use standard built in Excitation ports of HFSS and when you will realize these ports through connectors it will not change your actual results much from the simulation results.

Using Connectors for impedance matching purpose sounds strange. But if you know that which connectors you will use in real after manufacturing the antenna then you can easily design it in HFSS according to the material and dimensions of the connectors. All standard connectors used in REAL have a data sheet providing complete detail about the materials they consist of and their exact dimensions to achieve a specific impedance. Select which Connectors you will use and then design it in 'HFSS' according to their specifications just like standard 50 Ohms Co-axial cable can be designed in HFSS.

Hope it help.
/SC

dear dlock...
i haven't made antenna horn by my self
but i have tutorial making antenna horn.
you can start making this tutorial first, after that you can find the variation and make your own antenna.
Here's the file

Hope it help you doing your assignment...
Keep fighting :)

Best regards

Attachments

• tutorial horn.pdf
    637 KB · Views: 185

Hi dlock,

What do you mean by screws??? Do you mean connectors?

Screws used for tuning of antenna and matching VSWR.

Thanku for uploading the tutorial. The thing is that i have already designed a pyramidal horn in HFSS. What i want t know is while simulating a screw in HFSS, Do we have to use standard size of screws or just optimize size of screw accordingly to achieve required parameters?n What wud be the material assignment? copper or brass?

Status
Not open for further replies.