Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Scratched PCB Coating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moshrkr

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Good day,
DIYer here, electronics is not my field of expertise though it is a passionate hobby.

While in the process of removing the glue that was holding this PCB in its place, I scratched off what appears to be a brownish coating. I hope that I didn't damage the circuitry although when magnified that coat looks pretty bad. I'm thinking that I shouldn't leave the copper exposed. How should I go about repairing this? I would very much appreciate your knowledge and expertise.

Cesar

Attachments

• Scratched.JPG
    Scratched.JPG
    837 KB · Views: 173

Solution
That ’brownish coating’ is called solder mask. It keeps solder from running all over the place when the board is soldered, and keeps the copper from oxidizing. the fact that some of it got chipped off shouldn’t be a problem. You could just lay some solder on the exposed copper, but I wouldn’t worry about it.
That ’brownish coating’ is called solder mask. It keeps solder from running all over the place when the board is soldered, and keeps the copper from oxidizing. the fact that some of it got chipped off shouldn’t be a problem. You could just lay some solder on the exposed copper, but I wouldn’t worry about it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back