Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Schottky diode selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamal20khz

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone. I need help in selecting Schottky diode for a rectifier at 2.4ghz. I have few 1n5819 diodes. Will they work at this frequency?

Hello Dear kamal20KHZ ( why 20 KHZ ?!!)
For schottky diode selection , you should , pay attention to below things:
1-Trr ( recovery reverse time )
2- maximum current
3- breakdown voltage
and internal capacitance
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

I found one instance where a hobbyist asked about using the 1N5819 for 2.4 GHz detection, but there was no follow-up:

2.4Ghz field strength meter? - Page 2 - RC Groups

Some other options are listed there, though. Here are two other sites with frequency data. The first lists a couple of options that may be available i your area, such as the 1N5711 on page 2 and the BAT62 on page 7.The second one is also making a 2.4 GHz detector and gives other sources.

**broken link removed**
Field Strength Meter for 2.4 Ghz Wireless LAN

Have you searched on 2.4 GHz field-strength meters to find what others are using that might be available in your area?

John

I have few 1n5819 diodes. Will they work at this frequency?
Do they look like microwave components? You won't have much fun with 1N5819 above 1 MHz or so.

Is 2.4ghz only mean microwave? I'm designing the ckt for RF. Name any diode if u know for this purpose. What abt bat15 or bat62?

Both are well suited for GHz range, but have different parameters. You didn't yet mention a frequency of your application. See the more detailed comments from jpanhalt.

There was a book by Steve Maas, I cannot remember the full name, but it was something like: "Microwave Cookbook".

This book includes extensive information about the utilization of diodes in various areas of Microwave Design. You can find detailed info on diode selection for your application.

I have some options such as bat15 in rsdelivers. But my problem is that they are of surface mount SMD type. As i'm designing the ckt in general pcb i think i couldnt solder those. I need something like axial leaded ceramic or glass case diode.

I used and can recommend Siemens BAR12 Schottky diode. I also used HSMS-series from Agilent, also good detectors at 2.45 GHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back