Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Schmitt trigger VS. Inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackyH

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a question regarding the Schmitt trigger . It seems like Schmitt trigger is often used in integrated circuit to obtain a steep signal

But a simple inverter can also do this job, to make the output signal have a steep transition

I want to know more about Schmitt trigger ,normally when do people apply Schmitt trigger instead of inverter?

You use a Schmidt-trigger (S-T) when de input signal is not going directly from 0 to 1 (or 1 to 0 ) but slowly or with a 'bump'. The S-T prefents false data transitions.
See picture:

65_1190834766.jpg

(input signal)
(output signal without S-T)
(output signal with S-T)

JackyH

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
ST are used when the circuit mix analog with digital signals.
It is very important if you design circuits based on syncronous philosophy.

+++

JackyH

schmitt triggers are used when the input is noisy.... i.e. the input may cause multiple transitions if given to a ordinary comparator...

JackyH

So every digital input I/O first stage is Schmitt Trigger inverter for noise cancellation.

JackyH

Sometimes, the input voltage is not ground or supply level. For inverter, it will be a large quiescient current while it is not the case for schmitt trigger.

JackyH

eleminate the noise

JackyH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back