Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Schematic symbols for solder points and edge connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlienCircuits

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What would be the standard ref designator and symbol for:

A) A pad on the board that you just want to solder a wire to
B) An edge with copper fingers that insert into another board's slot

If there is not a standard, is there anyone with experience putting these onto a schematic?

Schematics were only intended to be logical and not physical. e.g. the location and qty of ground symbols is no reflection of what exists physically.

However you can choose to design your own Test Point which is both.

I understand your point, but for me to have a schematic that is linked to a PCB layout editor, I need to have nets for these connections. I also want anyone reading the schematic to understand what signals are leaving the board and how. A TP would be misleading if read by someone without context if it is not really there as a test point. My copper fingers on the edge of the board will plug into a slot, and so it is essentially a connector component built into the circuit board. I guess I will just use a fairly standard "CN" for connector for that one and I'll have to make up my own thing for wire solder points.

in order to make sure that your reader understands place text box, and write whatever and as many as you think can help the other person in understanding the schematic!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.