Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Schematic of +/- 5V power supply with max. load current 1A

Status
Not open for further replies.

rozerf

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
+/- 5V power supply

I need to design a power supply powered by a 9V cell battery to provide a dual polarity (one positive output and one negative with same magnitude of the positive's) power supply (say +/- 5V) with max. load curent of about 1A each rail.

Could anyone suggest a schmetic for this ?

Thx in adv

HI man,

It's easy with 78XX regulator.
Put 7805 for output +5V and 7905 for output -5V

Bye

Re: +/- 5V power supply

Can't be done. You can easily generate the +5V, -5V with a simple switching regulator (off-the-shelf part)

But...

No way will a 9V PP3 battery supply +/- 1Amp!

Maybe 50mA.

Cheers,
FoxyRick

Thx guys,

Then what other
portable power sources can replace 9V PP3 battery cell?

Maybe 0.5A is enough for my application.......

even 0.5 amp. with a portable battery is a big requirement, either way is to reduce the load, but thats a poor solution.
Can't you remove the restriction of portable battery, then you can use a step down transformer and design the power supply fro any current specification.

i use this supply for microcontroller and an audio IC, all together about 300mA, i think. so cell batterys are light-weighted and convenient if it's capable to do the job.....

You can also use two groups of six AA cells and linear regulators for both + and -. NiCad cells can source large currents. Your battery life at 300 mA would be about 5 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back