Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

schematic in keysight ADS issue

oumik

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In the circuit below (both images are 1 entire circuit), I measured DC voltage at Vout and I obtained 0 V. The circuit is basically a power amplifier + power detector (with schottky diode) for RF source. This is the first time I use keysight ADS and I am not sure where I went wrong.
keysight_ADS_schematic_prt1.jpg
keysight_ADS_schematic_prt2.jpg

No ADS problem, just a botched rectifier circuit. Look sharp, how can a diode with series capacitor produce DC output?
Thank you for replying. The schematic is based on the 2 circuits shown below so from RF OUT we get an amplified signal which should be rectified by the schottky diode in the other circuit shown. I thought it might work but I guess not. Do you have any suggestions on how I should modify the circuit in ADS?

RF power amplifier circuit .jpg
single diode power detector circuit .jpg

You're doing a DC simulation but you expect a DC voltage from a RF signal.
It doesn't make sense..
You have to do HB simulation then you should see DC Harmonic Content of the rectified signal.

You're doing a DC simulation but you expect a DC voltage from a RF signal.
It doesn't make sense..
You have to do HB simulation then you should see DC Harmonic Content of the rectified signal.
Thank you for replying. So I have tried to do HB simulation. I modified the circuit as shown below (I removed the 1 nF and 1 MOhm) and added a Term in series with the diode. I obtained 2.999 dBm for the 2.4 GHz. Am I on the right track now? Please advise me if I am not as any suggestion would be helpful.
keysight_ADS_schematic_modified_removed_R_C_with_harmonic_simulation.jpg
keysight_ADS_schematic_modified_removed_R_C_with_harmonic_simulation_values.jpg

No, you're not on the right way ..
For a rectifier, you should look at Vout[0] ( DC Component of the output waveform ) but there isn't filter capacitor.
Your DC value is too low , approx.-450dBm !!

For a rectifier, you should look at Vout[0] ( DC Component of the output waveform ) but there isn't filter capacitor.
Thank you for replying. You are referring to the 0 GHz right? What do you recommend to modify to increase the DC value ?
--- Updated ---

Also, I am interested only in 2.4 GHz and not the other frequencies. Or is it that for all frequencies the values should be high ?

Last edited:
If you place a RC filter at the Output then you look at Vout[0] in HB analysis, you will see a DC component what you want. Then either increase RF level or improve your amplifier. The rest is just a design problem.

A small note : BFP420 is not a appropriate choice for RF rectifier circuit because it has very low driving capabilities.
It's a essentially low Noise BJT. I recommend you to use more powerful transistor.

A small note : BFP420 is not a appropriate choice for RF rectifier circuit because it has very low driving capabilities.
It's a essentially low Noise BJT. I recommend you to use more powerful transistor.
Thank you for you reply. I will take that into consideration.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back