Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SCART plug: how to physically connect wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

aagaag

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to connect a bunch of wires to SCART male and female plugs. The male plug has nice crimp connectors. However, I do not understand how to connect the wires to the female plug. It looks like little shark teeth (see pic) 2016-04-01 19.34.26.jpg. I guess that they are not meant to be soldered. Do I need some special crimp connectors? Can somebody point me in the right direction? Many thanks in advance!

It doesn't look like the preferred SCART socket type to connect wires. I'm not even sure if it's a generally available standard product. But I presume the pins of your socket are solderable nevertheless.

The wires can be laid on the pins and soldered, then shrink wrap over the solder joint to add a bit of strain relief... The joints will be prone to stress fractures though not the best option for a scart connector, lots of wires and quite heavy cable. so strain relief is paramount.
The other thing is having once done this on a similar socket (automotive), it tested my tenacity and patience to the limit...
I would recommend trying to find a proper crimp socket, one where you crimp then insert is best.

You might have done this before. Figure out how the cable will exit the housing. Clamp the cable and the connector so they are in the correct position. Cut the outer insulation back so it will be within the housing, but the wires are all too long, so fold them right out of the way. Start soldering with the wires going to the pins nearest to the cable, don't make then too short, leave a little slack, proceed to solder up working away from the cable until you get to the far end. If your connector is laying on its side, do the top side first then turn it over and do the other side.
Frank

thanks - I eventually did something like that, and it worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back