Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SAW filter, maximum amplitude ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warpspeed

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Planning to use a 70 Mhz Sawtek surface acoustic wave filter in a project, but have been unable to find any specification for maximum allowable drive amplitude.

70 MHz filters are IF filters, so there's no reason to design it for power handling. I see a +23 dBm rating for some GSM filters, I would expect similar numbers for 70 MHz filters. Without a specification, I won't hesitate to expose it to low power like +10 dBm.

Thank you FvM, that is a great help.

Plus 23dbm is a lot, almost 4v rms, a lot higher than I expected.
This particular application is for a synthesised amateur radio SSB transmitter, so it would be nice to be able keep the input level reasonably high, as the quoted insertion loss is 23db.

This is my first attempt at playing with a SAW filter, and I don't want to blow it up.
I searched the internet for quite some time, and as you say, these filters are much more commonly used in receivers and nowhere could I find a maximum safe input specification.

If I keep the input below a volt or so it may stand a chance...

Status
Not open for further replies.