Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Samsung flash memory- pics from internal flash memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_edge

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Samsung flash memory

Hi all, i hope this is a right part of the forum for this question. I have my old olympus digital camera that is not working. But I want to get pics from internal flash memory. I have its **broken link removed**... I was hoping that someone could help me with some schematics to connect it somehow or what ever i need to do, or some advices:) If it is posible?
Thanks all

Re: Samsung flash memory

Sounds like a lot of work to me....

I tried viewing the datasheet but i can't load it, sorry.

However i think you'll have more problem than simply interfacing the Flash Chip like how do you get to decode the file system so you can extract the files. I'm not sure though....

gelidude said:
Sounds like a lot of work to me....

I tried viewing the datasheet but i can't load it, sorry.

However i think you'll have more problem than simply interfacing the Flash Chip like how do you get to decode the file system so you can extract the files. I'm not sure though....

Thanks for reply. I dont know why u cant load it it works for me. This is its name: K9F2816U0C-YCB0

I know that this is problem, but what i want to do is just to get the content of flash, sort it as it is in flash and transfer it to my PC for later decoding of whats inside...
Thanks again

I guess you need to read the datasheet carefully there are some helpfull flowcharts in there. If you would interface it to a pic than in your case you need 16 pint data I/O and seval others for WP #CE busy, ALE RE etc. If you can write some decent code it could be possible to download the raw data of the chip.

Sorry I gave wrong device, it is K9F2808U0C-YCB0, almost the same just 8bit... So it needs less pins:) Writing the code shouldnt be a problem, just need to be carefull about those timings. Would the PIC working on 20MHz be good enough? I saw that there are some max times that are 25ns, so I am not sure what to use for that?

blueroomelectronics said:
How do you plan on reading the FAT directory?
As I said I just want to get the content of memory to my PC. When I do that Ill think of file system...
So what i want to do is read data at address 0 save it in file on PC, than read address 1 save it in file, etc...
When I do that ill decode file system in software on my PC...

the_edge said:
Sorry I gave wrong device, it is K9F2808U0C-YCB0, almost the same just 8bit... So it needs less pins:) Writing the code shouldnt be a problem, just need to be carefull about those timings. Would the PIC working on 20MHz be good enough? I saw that there are some max times that are 25ns, so I am not sure what to use for that?

I believe the max times that you saw are for access times and other timing parameters. Basically if you will use a 20MHz clock for the PIC, that would equate to 5MHz execution frequency (1 instruction cycle = 4 clock cycles) and period of 200ns. Most of the max parameters are way less than 200ns so the only thing you should be worrying about are those parameters >200ns (i.e. tR, tRST). But the tR parameter is for the R/B pin which is the time the R/B pin goes low indicating the device is still busy with an operation. I believe you could poll the R/B pin when it goes high to indicate that the data is ready for reading of you could read the Status Register to determine the busy states. So that means you don't have to worry about tR parameter as long as you properly determine if the device is still busy or not.

Well that is just my analysis based on the datasheet only, I'm not sure if there are still practical issues involved. Just let us know if you were able to read the chip with the datasheet diagrams, good luck!

the_edge

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Thanks for advice, i will tell u when i try this, but that wont be soon because i want to write a code that will work on first run, so it will take some time:) I just dont want to kill or erase something:) And if it works ill post code and schematic here.
If there are some more advices, feel free to say:D

Yes, I think you better make a good code or you'll end up erasing the chip :D

Anyway, I think that there is a WP (write protect) that you can use to prevent accidental erasure. Also it would be nice if you could get hands on a sample of the flash chip where you could test your code before using it on the actual flash chip on your digital camera. Until then, good luck! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.