Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sampling or quantization????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashish.chip

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
difference between sampling and quantization

hii frends.....
I still can't be able to make a difference between sampling and quantization..i mean i have read a lot on both of them....i mean books says that sampling's only time discrete and quantization's both(time-amplitude discrete)....but still m confused....
plzz help me out..
thanks!!!

difference between quantization and sampling

sampling discretizes the signal in time and quantization discretizes in amplitude-

difference between quantization and sampling

When you sample a continous signal (a continous signal is something like sin(w*t), you can find its value for any time t), the signal exists only at the sampling instant (like t=1s, 2s, 3s, ...). Else the signal is not zero, but doesnt exist.

The signal can be quantized, which means that the signal is now restricted to have a few voltage levels only (like V=±1v, ±2v, ±3v, ...).

When both are done, the signal can have only discrete values and exists at discrete times only.
-b

Status
Not open for further replies.