Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sampling asynch pulse shorter than host clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

anoop12

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I am using 50ns clock input for my logic design.
I wish to sample an external pulse ( Asynchronous to host clock) shorter than the clock period. How can I sample it correctly without missing it.

Thanks in advance

The best you can do is use both the rising and falling edges of your clock input to detect the external pulse. Essentially, you are dividing your clock by 2. You cannot guarantee that your design will catch the pulse. Consider delaying the pulse/extending the pulse width using logic.

I'd agree with Chops - a pulse stretcher is your best bet unless you could add
an external clock of higher frequency to grab the data and shove it somewhere
before processing.

jack

Connect the input pulse to the asynchronous "set" of a register and put a synchronizer after the register. When you have detected the '1' on the output, clock in a '0' in the first register (which will propagate thru the synchronizer).

Reactions: anoop12

anoop12

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
as indicate std_match, you can used the signal you want to capture on the reset or set pin or on the clock pin of flop, to capure it.

You can use rs-latch or design a simple asynchronous sequential circuit.

If this is being designed using an FPGA, you wouldn't be able to use a latch *for the most part

Thanks guys, its working !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.