Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sample and Hold Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtremeTuningSolutions

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am looking to create a sample and hold design. The design must consists of changing voltage and being able to lock the the voltage in. The voltage control would be changed by a Joystick. The further the Joystick left or right the higher the voltage change. The joystick can then be pushed down to lock the voltage in and should not bleed out. Voltage Range should be 1v to 10.30v

Ex: Push the joystick to the left the meter reads 6 volts. Then push it down which would lock the voltage in at 6v and the joystick would return to the center. Similar to a Play Station 3 controller the R3 button is the push down.

Does anybody know of anything related to this or have something i can work with?

Please let me know.

Thank You

Just some quick input. A simple S&H circuit will at best be able to hold the voltage for minutes or if it's a more exotic design maybe a few hours. If you need to hold it longer or want to avoid the exotic you'll need to use an A/D feeding an D/A through some kind of logic like a register with disable or microprocessor so the value can be frozen on command.

Ray

You will need an infinite sample-and-hold system, which will consist of a D/A, digital storage (memory) and an A/D. You will probably need some sort of a microcontroller/FPGA to implement the digital storage, and to implement interfaces for the D/A and A/D. Depending on the accuracy you require, you might need to implement serial interface data converters. I used a similar circuit for a sensor application, and ordered 16 bit serial interface data converter samples from TI. Only problem is that its hard to find high resolution data converters in DIP, they mostly come in surface-mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.