Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

S-parameter measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.

rashed1880

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have been trying to measure the S-parameters of GaN HEMTs and LDMOS. but some reason I haven't been able to get expected values. I am not really sure of the reason. For example: in cold FET or below pinch-off measurement(Vgs<below pinch-off and Vds=0V), S11 parameter should be purely capacitive and if converted into Y-parameter, then Y11 should be linear. but after de-embedding, the S11 i get goes into the upper half of the smith chart and corresponding Y11 is very strange (kind of zig-zag) shape. is it because of the fixture (i designed it), calibration (i use mechanical SOTL calibration kit). does the s-parameter measurement depends on the network analyzer? If anyone here has done this before and help me out, then I would be really grateful.

Watch your drive level if it is a small signal device. Most network analyzers default to 0 dbm output.

You did not state frequency. At higher freq package inductance comes into play.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

The device is an unmatched and packaged device. The gain given in the datasheet is small signal gain. So I believe it is a small signal device. The RF input power for the transistor (or the output from network analyser) is indeed 0dBm. Do I need any higher value for S-parameter measurement?

The devices operate up 6GHz or 12GHz, but the network analyser I use can go from 300kHz to 3GHz. When I take the measurements, I usually sweep for the whole range of the network analyser. Do you have to specify a certain range of frequency while doing this kind of measurement? and if yes, could you please explain a bit?

(I am very new to RF)

Last edited:

Have you checked for self oscillations using a spectrum analyzer?

The RF input power for the transistor (or the output from network analyser) is indeed 0dBm. Do I need any higher value for S-parameter measurement?

0 dBm is 0.77 V into a 50 Ohm load, and up to 1.54 V into a high impedance load. You should measure with less power.

Have you checked for self oscillations using a spectrum analyzer?

actually I haven't. I am completely new to RF, specially have no idea about how to do s-parameter measurement successfully. If the transistor does have self oscillations, then is there any way to avoid it?

- - - Updated - - -

0 dBm is 0.77 V into a 50 Ohm load, and up to 1.54 V into a high impedance load. You should measure with less power.

thanks. I will try this out.

The best way to remove oscillation is to insert a resister (2 ohm probably will work depends upon transistor) in the base/ gate of the transistor... it will make it stable... on the cost of a very low power dissipation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back