Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Run Linux applications on Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimjim2k

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

Cygwin is a set of powerful tools to assist developers in migrating applications from UNIX/Linux to the Windows platform. Cygwin delivers the open source standard Red Hat GNU gcc compiler and gdb debugger on Windows. In addition, it provides for a standard UNIX/Linux development environment on Windows including APIs and command shells. The Cygwin.dll library, included with Cygwin, delivers the interesting subset of UNIX SVR4, BSD, and POSIX APIs to enable quick ports of UNIX/Linux applications to the Windows platform.

1. https://www.redhat.com/software/tools/cygwin/
2. https://www.redhat.com/download/cygwin.html

* -> t

tnx

Last edited by a moderator:

Also another way to do it : with vmware (https://www.vmware.com) I run linux rd71 with win2000 in a window, if preforme nice. You can run linux/unix in windows too..

Uploaded file: **broken link removed**

Last edited by a moderator:

3-4 years ago.
There was a company make product called OpenNT. You can run the unix binary on your PC using POSIX and other things as i remember..

Unfortunately, they have financial problem and gone forever...

I have seen WMWare on Linux running Windows 98 - Delphi 5 was totally unusable (some HP Brio with Celeron CPU & 64MB RAM).

You need to have plenty of ram to run VMWare properly. I have 512MB and let VMware use 128MB. My host os is XP and my guest os is win98. Most application run fine with my configuration. I plan to run some Linux applications through Windows X server but don't have time to install/test it yet. This might be useful if you have 2 related EDA applications that run on 2 different platforms and don't have second machine.

ee_freak

you can try Virtual PC from Microsoft or Connectix. I run Windows CP and Gentoo Linux together. It runs beautifully.

This technique is more along the lines for me. My primary operating system is windows, not linux. I would like to try some of linux, but not at the cost vmware imposes.

i've been hable to run just fine with Vmware and have only 256Mb of ram and a PIII 600Mhz.

Sure if you try to get too mutch stuff running at same time than you will notice a performance penalty.

Since i'm a alinux user i just run some application under win98 and is fine for me. But notice this: even XP is not a pure multi-task os as linux is.

Just open a few major applications and wath the whole OS running out of resources and trowing everything to the swap file ....

BTW: never ever run vmware on celeron machines, as the result is a very poor
performance ....

VMWare is good software if you want to run binaries in another OS
But it's +- expensive, it needs allot of RAM and CPU power. It creates "Virtual PC Hardware" which runs a different OS. VMWare requires you to install the other OS. This means that when you want to run a windows application in linux you have to buy VMWare, a version of Windows and the application you want to run (if it's commercial). This might be an expensive option! (VirtualPC and some other applications use this concept too)

Another option you have to run Windows applications (Binaries) in Linux is Wine (or Crossover Office as a commercial tweak of wine to run MS Office, Photoshop and some other applications) Wine does not require you to install a copy of Windows, so you can probably save a bit there. There's also WineX which is optimized for games.

The software JimJim talked about is something completely different. Cygwin provides a pretty complete abstraction layer to use for compiling Linux applications on a windows OS. Yes, compiling since binary linux applications are not compatible with cygwin. But this is not really a problem since the source of most linux applications is available. Another abstractionlayer is mingGw (but this is just the abstractionlayer and not the complete toolset which cygwin provides!). Best of all, it's free!
And yes, graphical applications work too!!! You only need to install an X-Server on you windows (free one or X-win or Exceed)

When triing to run a linux application in windows and the source is available I would choose cygwin since the application is then compiled for windows (and when you're lucky this means you can copy and paste from and to other applications).

Antharax

Yes, VMware is a good stuff

I have used both , wine and Vmware. in my opinion , wine does its job better . I got Microsoft Office running(word, excell, powerpoint,etc), Circuit Maker, Eagle (although there is a linux version), Photoshop 7, Adobe acrobat, icprog, dc++ for windows, Winrar, etc, etc ... all of them using the free standard version of Wine. And most important of all, i got it working natively into de operating system ... so for example ... you can start your work in windows and if you dual boot , just open your work directly from the windows partition. also , strangely , i've noticed that some applications run even faster on linux than they do on windows (I.E. Msoffice). It gives us that "home" felling to users like me, that come from a windows enviroment, and we are used to using the menus and options of many windows programs. even if there is a linux equivalent.
On the other side, vmware is an excellent option to fullfill all of those gaps left by wine... I use vmware mostly for games ... since files I download on vmware have to be transferred using samba and tnen i have no idea where things are. I tried using direct access to my physical drive but files for some reason became unavailable from the windows partition every time i shut down the virtual machine. so when i switch to linux or the real windows, if i don't remember to transfer my work i have to return to retrive if .... aaargh.
in conclusion ... wine is free and faster ... vmware is not ... and if you are using linux ???? why install windows under linux ??? I just need the programs ... not the operating system.

:p

eYe said:
3-4 years ago.
There was a company make product called OpenNT. You can run the unix binary on your PC using POSIX and other things as i remember..

Unfortunately, they have financial problem and gone forever...

ya ..

I ever receiver OpenNT CDROM (5 year ago).. and I setup it ,
I find only xterm , telnet vi .. can use ..
and you can not use "SUN app on X86" without re_comipler

but win2k already support telnet server function now ..
and EDA vendor will porting EDA to linux ..

don't use EDA on windows OS ...

Well, those of prefer recompiling the tools should really use cygwin.
i've been using xemacs under windows98 and it runs just fine.

But the bad and ugly news is that if your software depends a lot on libs,
you should also compile them also, and not to mention that software that
uses any GUI like X-windows Motiff, Lesstiff, GTK, must be rewriteen
so the use the native GUI api.

this can be a real killer, so some people my prefer to use QT when programming GUI under linux, since QT allows one to compile GUI code with
almost no modifications at all unde LINUX, windows, and other unixes,
don't know for sure if they run into Mac ...

Other alternative could be wXWindows wich is free and allows one to compile GUI's under Mac, windows, *NIX and use the native API under the choosen os.

Personaly this is a better way, but wXWindows is also a little more complicated.

So if you REALLY want a easy solution: run Vmware and install the os
that you need. Make sure to download the os-tools that provide some acceleration.

can try QEMU to run linux inside Windows...free and not as complicated as VMWare...
i've written a short tutorial on it:
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.