Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rule of thumb for core loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

kender

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Stanford, SF Bay Peninsula, California, Earth, Sol
Activity points
Inductor and transformer design is an iterative process. One place to start the iteration is to make a guess based on core losses. On the web, I found 2 different rule of thumb values: 100 and 300 mW/cm3. Neither of the application notes said enough about temperature raise or air flow. Folks, what values are you typically using? Could you shed some intuition* onto this?

* I'm looking for shortcuts. I do have an idea about how to do this rigorously: calculate losses, apply thermal resistance, compare to max temperature raise.

Last edited:

In a first order, manageable core losses are a function of core surface area rather than volume, because dissipated power is mainly transported by convection.

nductor and transformer design is an iterative process. One place to start the iteration is to make a guess based on core losses. On the web, I found 2 different rule of thumb values: 100 and 300 mW/cm3. Neither of the application notes said enough about temperature raise or air flow. Folks, what values are you typically using? Could you shed some intuition* onto this?

* I'm looking for shortcuts. I do have an idea about how to do this rigorously: calculate losses, apply thermal resistance, compare to max temperature raise.
Hi kender
I suggest you to take a look into the Switchmode power supply cookbook written by Marty Brown ! he has some rules of thumbs which can be fine for you .
But one of the usual value for core loss is considering 5 or 10 percent of maximum power , for core loss ( this is a good design with selecting a good core )
Best Wishes + Merry christmas
Goldsmith

Status
Not open for further replies.