Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RTOS and its implementation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kumar_prashant

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I am recently introduced with RTOS and infact any type of OS in my works. The thing is that we have to implement the eCos (RTOS) on ARM AT91SAM7A1 (ATMEL)
processor. and then there are GNU tools (compiler, linker and locater etc.)

I assume that the GNU compiler is for compiling the instruction written for RTOS, and the user program (i.e. one written in assembly language or C) is to be compiled using some other compiler, Am I right..?

Since so many new things are placed at once i m confused..(electrical Background)
One more thing is there that I talked to vendor regarding "eCos Pro Developers Kit" and they said that it is not supporting this particular IC from ATMEl...though it is supporting ARM series.....how is it so...

Is there any way that we can use the same IC on this development board.

please provide necessary guidelines.

Thanks in advance...

You are confusing host gcc with the gnu cross-compiler. You use host gcc to compile programs withc runs on your host (development system), and you use gnu cross compiler to compile programs including the RTOS which will run on your target.
In your case you will need to write a BSP (board support package) for your board. Find the one supported by your RTOS vendor which is similar to the board you have and modify it. The first thing you will need to solve is board initialization, timers and serial port.

I assume that the GNU compiler is for compiling the instruction written for RTOS, and the user program (i.e. one written in assembly language or C) is to be compiled using some other compiler, Am I right..?

No , you are wrong
you just need GNU compiler for ARM to compile the whole code

One more thing is there that I talked to vendor regarding "eCos Pro Developers Kit" and they said that it is not supporting this particular IC from ATMEl...though it is supporting ARM series.....how is it so...

ARM company do't sell IC's , they just sell core , other companies get the core and put other prephirals and Memory arrangements and sell it unter it's brand indicating that it's ARM core .
So it may be the Development kit will support ARM with special prephirals.

Is there any way that we can use the same IC on this development board.
you can visit the folowing link for ATMEL ARM Development kits and RTOS
http://www.atmel.com/products/AT91/thirdparty.asp#REAL_TIME
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools.asp?family_id=605

or you can move to arm from another company like Philips .

if you still have questions contact me

Salam
Hossam Alzomor
www.i-g.org

Dear Kumar,

Have you managed to port ecos to AT91SAM7A1?

Best Regards
Hossam Alzomor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back