Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RTD Circuit in Open state

Status
Not open for further replies.

garg29

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi friends,
I'm measuring temperature with a RTD Sensor. The circuit is working fine ( I have attached the circuit). But in case if there is no sensor present the output voltage becomes -10.47 volts, instead of this I need +5volt or above to detect the "SENSOR OPEN" state. Sorry I'm very poor in analog circuitry. Can you please help me out for a solution.

RW1, RW2 & RW3 are wire resistance (wire from circuit to sensor)

Thanks.

I guess the problem is because R7 is unconnected when no sensor is present.

What about a pull down resistor before R7? about 1MegaOhm (I'm not an expert too xD)

What about a pull down resistor before R7
You actually need to pull it up. You'll cause the smallest possible error by connecting a high ohmic (e.g. 5 or 10 Mohm)
resistor between both positive (source and sense) RTD terminals.

garg29

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks FvM for replying. I completely agree with your statement. But can't this eror be compensated back in software. I tried a solution in simulator will this work?

garg29 said:
... I tried a solution in simulator will this work?
Yes, it will work. But a few comments:
  • I'd think FvM's solution (10 MΩ resistor between both positive (source and sense) RTD terminals) is simpler & better
  • you missed the original 50kΩ (org. R7=49.9kΩ) resistor, which is good for input offset current cancellation (at normal operation conditions)
  • R8 (voltage limit) is only necessary for simulation, not in reality.

garg29

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks a lot FvM indeed your solution was much better than mine. G-o-d knows when I'll learn electronics atleast the basics !!!!!!!!!!
Thanks erikl to you too.....
I clicked helped me for both of you... G-o-d Bless you

Status
Not open for further replies.