Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[General] RS485 Transciver Protection SN75176

Status
Not open for further replies.

UroBoros

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using SN75176 chip as RS485 transciver in my circuits. I am getting this transciver damaged sometimes. I have done some searches and found some similer posts. But was not able to locate a robust protection circuit or arrangement.
Is this transciver a less protected part? I am willing to change the chip also if this is not a industry standard part for deploying in a critical network.
Please suggest a solution for a trouble free RS485 hardware. My case can afford more cost if needed. But service is more expensive for us.
Thanks.

The most critical part for non-isolated interfaces is grounding. Floating inputs can easily be damaged by EMC. So additional protection anyway will be needed. Just try to google how digital inputs was made in industry PLC.

Hi,

the datasheet tells you about internal protection.

But it might be difficult to internally protect against relatively high power, low ohmic ESD.

I wonder why yoiu don´t find useful information:
A simple google search "RS485 esd protection" brings a lot of very useful dcuments.

One of the first hits are:
https://www.ti.com/lit/an/slla292a/slla292a.pdf
**broken link removed**

What else do you need?

Klaus

Some notes discuss an emphasis for isolated transceiver stages including power supply.
Is it comon practise to do so? SSot.png

Status
Not open for further replies.