Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RS485 Half-Duplex Operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

strahd_von_zarovich

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, i have a device which i should communicate with, via RS485 bus. I am going to use ADM2682E as a driver and receiver. My question is

- Is it ok to connect DE and /RE pins each other and control them with one external logic since i use half-duplex operation ? So when i want to send data, making the logic high , DE is high enabling the drivers, and /RE is low disabling the receivers ?

Regards.

Hi,

Yes. You could connect them.

But you can leave the reciever continouly active.
In the block diagram it shows just to switch the RxD line high-Z.

If you switch the receiver inactive, you should consider to use a pullup resistor at the RxD line to prevent it from floating.
If you want to transmit data, there is no need to switch the receiver inactive. Both can be active at the same time.

When the reciever is active during transmitting, then you will receive the sent out data as a local feedback.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back