Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RS232 to USB converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

nprao

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
usb rs232 sk

Hello

I doing a project using AT89S52 now I am serial commutation to commutate to the PC(RS232).I want to convert this RS232 output into USB.can any one tell me how to implement with some code(ASM) example or any link

igorplug-usb to rs232 converter +

The USB Protocol is very much complicated that RS232, but FTDI chips makes them a piece of cake.
**broken link removed**

at89s52 usb projects

nprao said:
Hello

I doing a project using AT89S52 now I am serial commutation to commutate to the PC(RS232).I want to convert this RS232 output into USB.can any one tell me how to implement with some code(ASM) example or any link

This AT89S52 are way too slow for this.
But if you use Atmel AVR you can do this, allthough theRS232<->USB transfer speed will be very slow.
Read these web page:
IgorPlug-USB: www.cesko.host.sk/IgorPlugUSB/IgorPlug-USB%20(AVR)_eng.htm
IgorPlug-USB to RS232 converter + - simple and cheap universal USB device: www.cesko.host.sk/IgorPlugUSB_RS232/IgorPlug-USB%20(AVR)%20RS232_eng.htm
Atmel AVR309 Preliminary Application Note: www.cesko.host.sk/dlredir.php?file=AVR309_doc2556.pdf

Atmel AVR AT90S8515 + the newer upgrade ATmega8515 are pin-compatible with AT89S52 except for an inverted reset pin, so you could upgrade your project to use one of these AVR's without any hardware modifications except the reset circuit and crystal speed. They are not code compatible though.

You can also get hardware USB<->RS23 converter chips.
Silicon Laboratoris (former Cygnal), FTDI and Prolifc produces such converter ICs.
Silicon Laboraties IC is the most integrated and requires almost no external components.

Silicon Laboratories: www.silabs.com/products/microcontroller/interface.asp
Prolific: www.prolific.com.tw/eng/Products-2.ASP?ID=10
FTDI: www.ftdichip.com

You could also use an MCU with built in USB.
Cypress makes some: www.cypress.com/products/family.cfm...8CE3D6D6&familyName=USB Low-Speed Peripherals

Status
Not open for further replies.