Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] RS232 to USB converter Driver Problem in Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasan Malik

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I want to interface a Micro controller with my laptop for a simple project to get data from temperature sensors, but the problem is the Serial to USB port drivers are not working in Window 8, I have tried a lot of drivers but nothing works, Kindly suggest a suitable driver for Windows 8.
The interface has been tested in Win 7 and xp for confirmation from hardware side !!!

Which USB RS232 bridge are you using? The various manufacturers (Microchip, Silicon Labs, FTDI) provide the drivers for their respective bridge ICs on their website. Windows 8 is known to cause trouble with many hardware devices, so updating the drivers might fix the problem.

If you're using an FTDI chip, you could be a victim of FTDI Gate.

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I went through a similar issue while doing a project. I was using Prolific USB to RS232 converter but the driver for Win 8 or any other driver simply did not work!

What worked was quite intriguing, Prolific driver for Windows Vista.

Uninstall all other drivers and install a driver meant for Windows vista and then run it in compatible mode (A setting Win 8 does for softwares meant for lower/other Windows operating systems).

This definitely solved the problem for me. See if it helps you too.
Cheers!

Me also using Prolific USB to RS232, It is comfortably working in Windows 7.

There was problem in prolific usb driver..

**broken link removed**

Search some other driver in google

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
While installing some drivers in Windows 8 it is required to deactivate the Driver signing option in the PC settings. Once that is done most of the driver installation problems are solved. For Prolific the problem is too much of fake devices from china. If the device is original it should work fine with the drivers available on the Prolific website.

I agree that Prolific USB to RS232 is more easy to work in window 7. Moreover, you should check your device to make sure that it is the original one. Good luck

If windows 8 is not original version or key is not activated, we can't get full operations of windows 8.

Some applications can't work properly in above case

Got the problem solved by finding the exact drivers of the converter !!! the port is working fine in Win8 now. Thanks you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.