Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

rs232 to rs232 isolator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electro nS

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points

its not the money , i donot want to order and wait for **INTERNATIONAL** shipping and such staff

do u think it is that hard ???

Use fast optocouplers like the FODM8061.
I've used them successfully all the way to 115Kbps

how should i connect the tx rx signals to the optocoupler , do you have the circuit u used ?

note : i am not using the rts cts pins , i am only using tx rx and gnd

You can't connect logic-level optocouplers directly to RS232 level, you need to use some kind of level translators, either IC or discrete circuits. O.K. there's an option of driving TxD with 0/5V level and hope the receiver will accept it. But that's not what I would do in the said industrial enviroment if noise immunity is an objective.

You also need to design a parasitic power supply utilizing TxD and possibly additional signals. If you buy the nice Chinese (or whatsoever) RS232 isolator, you get everything ready-made.

By the way, why do you say you don't use RTS/CTS pins? Using additional RS232 lines as auxilary power supply can considerably ease the isolator operation by providing a permanent positive voltage.

You could use ACSL-6300 or ACSL-6400 from avago. I have tried using it in my design its working fine. You don't need any level shifters for it.

You don't need any level shifters for it.
So you are suggesting to drive RS232 with 0/5V logic level? Although this works with standard interfaces, e.g. of a PC, it's not guaranteed by RS232 spec.

The other point is, how are you supplying the optocouplers?

You can't connect logic-level optocouplers directly to RS232 level, you need to use some kind of level translators, either IC or discrete circuits. O.K. there's an option of driving TxD with 0/5V level and hope the receiver will accept it. But that's not what I would do in the said industrial enviroment if noise immunity is an objective.

You also need to design a parasitic power supply utilizing TxD and possibly additional signals. If you buy the nice Chinese (or whatsoever) RS232 isolator, you get everything ready-made.

By the way, why do you say you don't use RTS/CTS pins? Using additional RS232 lines as auxilary power supply can considerably ease the isolator operation by providing a permanent positive voltage.

wowwoo , i didnot know that i have to worry about all these details !! its easier if i incorporate in my original board an isolated rs232 transciver it would have been easier (but for new versions of the board) . i am thinking of buying 2 MAX250/1 pair and connect the logic side of these together , but i would be a huge circuit and a pain in the ass !

the reason for not using rts and cts pins is that i have never found anyone suggesting them over software handshaking
the micro controller interrupt on TX is enough right now although i am at 115200 rate . i wish i know the difference or advantage of hardware flow control (RTS and CTS) vs the software methods
could u explain the advantages or disadvantages mainly at high speed and large data transfer

thank u very much

Status
Not open for further replies.