Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] RS232 standard and pins in DB9 connector

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well said Klaus!

The same wrong information is being repeated by people who will not read our replies.

Brian.
I second that. I just gave up. I suggest the OP pretty much ignore everything said here and go read some documentation online; there’s plenty of it.

Hi,

I'm not sure whether RS232 defines connectors and pin numbers at all.

Klaus

Hi,

Klaus
I'm pretty sure it specifies the pinout for 25 and 9 pin connectors, but I'm not certain if it specifies the dimensions of the physical connector. Though I haven't seen a copy of the standard itself in the last ~30 years.

Maxim Integrated, TI, etc have published documents on the standard (to help someone to use their parts), which is probably a better (and more accurate) source of information than forum posts.

I think it does; but I have not seen them for a very long time.

The standards are not available online.

If my memory serves me right, the 9 pin connector DE-9 (DB9 is the same DB25 connector but only 9 pins present) was introduced by IBM for the IBM-PC.

The same connector DB25 was also used for the printer port (parallel port) but with a different connector at the printer end.

The 3-wire connections came with microprocessors; they are not part of the standard. (also the DE9 connector pinout)

Status
Not open for further replies.