Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rs232 multiplexer needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyyy

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi.

I develpoed a board with PIC16F. Now I need to add a programmable module which convert serial to ethernet. The module need to be connected to the PIC via RS232 line (tx and rx). Because I would like to us those line also for reading other pheriperal how I can do that?

Shoul I add a mux chip to sync the access to the tx and rx line?

Any suggestion?

Thanks
Tony

I think you are asking for trouble. Since ethernet is asynchronous to your PIC, there's no way to know when a message is coming in. If you've got the input assigned to your other input (non-ethernet), you could miss a message.

- - - Updated - - -

You COULD mux your TX signal, since you control when you are transmitting. But if you've got line(s) available for controlling a multiplexer, why don't you just use THOSE lines for your other inputs?

use the hardware UART for the Ethernet device and a software UART to talk to your PC
do a web search for pic16 software uart and you will get plenty of links

How I can allow another rs232 device to communicate with pic?

pic.pngSee the pic

What about 74HC125D?

Several of the PIC16s have 2 UARTs; you could use one of those. Or, as Horace suggests, roll your own software UART.

Status
Not open for further replies.