Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RS232 Interface question - baud rate selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

grubby23

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
max232 cutecom

Hi

I have a very, very basic and simple question about the RS232 interface. Basically, I have a microprocessor running with 24 MHZ and sends and receives the data over the RX and TX Pin respectively. How do I need now to select the baud rate at my host PC to be able to communicate with the microcontroller over the serial interface?

Thanks

Re: RS232 Interface question

You have to program your microcontroller to receive and transmit data at a certain baudrate and then set the PC to send and receive at that baud rate.

How you program the baud rate for your microcontroller depends completely on the microcontroller and your compiler.

r.b.

What program do you use on your PC to communicate over rs232 line?

A. if you are on windows you can use hyperterminal

B. On linux you can use minicom, cutecom or gtkterm

C. if done using C program (on POSIX system ) you can use termios programming

refer
http://www.easysw.com/~mike/serial/serial.html#1_2

you cannot connect Tx(or Rx) directly to RS232( if pins are TTL , which most are) , you have to use MAX232 in between

Status
Not open for further replies.