Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rs -485 & RS-232 comapability

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratan.1185

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all ,

I am doing a project in which I have to use GSM modem & ARM based controller ,LPC 1768.
My query is that, As UART of LPC 1768 support RS485 but GSM modem supports RS-232 . so how can I commumnicate between them.

The two types of interfaces are not directly compatble. Quote: "RS485 interface gives some more benefits compared to RS232: simplicity and the robustness for long distance transfer. RS485 is simpler because it uses only two ire (or a single pair) to carry out the data in bidirectional manner, using RS232, we need 3 wires at minimum to carry the data bidirectionally. RS485 cable length can be as long as 1.2 km, while RS232 only about 25 meters."
There are many circuits available and on this forum, too! Search the forum for "rs232 rs485 converter" and see if you can find what you need.

here is the schematic which i made and its working

u can use max485 or 75176 as 485 IC and max232 for 232 IC

Status
Not open for further replies.