Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RS-485 (MAX487 / MAX485) - On-chip fail-safe feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

esm.

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all.

I have a good knowledge on RS-485 buses. I have some doubts about the internal fail-safe feature of MAX487.

I know how to do a fail-safe biasing using external pull-up and pull-down resistors, but my doubt is just about the internal fail-safe feature of these transceivers.

Currently I can't do tests in practice with my ICs (MAX487). I won't use a MAX485 because I could need more than 32 nodes attached to the RS485 bus (MAX487 supports up to 128 nodes).

When receiving at the RS485 bus, I know that:
VA-VB >= 200mV ---> RO pin is level '1'
VA-VB <= 200mV ---> RO pin is level '0'
VA-VB > 200mV && < 200mV ---> RO pin has undeterminated logic state

MAX487 / MAX485 datasheet says: The receiver input has a fail-safe feature that guarantees a logic-high output if the input is open circuit.

Considering the following condition:

1) Supply voltage = 5V
2) DE and RE pins at level '0' constantly (that means transmit is disabled and receive is enabled)
3) A and B pins left floating (No termination resistor and no fail-safe biasing external resistors connected). Nothing connected to both pins A and B

Questions

1) Does these RS485 tranceivers have an internal pull-up from pin A to VCC and a internal pull-down from pin B do GND? (with higher values?)

2) In this condition, what should be the voltage between A and B (5V)? (Considering a very high input impedance meter)

3) At question 2, the logic level at RO pin is '1', right?

4) Now, if I put just a termination resistor (120 Ohms) between A and B, the logic level at RO will be 'undeterminated', right? I think if the internal resistors are present, they will have a high value and the voltage between A and B will be near to 0V due to the low resistance of the termination.

I really have these doubts a long time.
Someone can help?

Here is my current schematic, attached in PDF and PNG.

I would like to design this schematic for use in RS-485 buses with a maximum of around 64 nodes.

I have some doubts about this schematic yet:

1) For R3 and R8 (fail-safe biasing), I am using 560 Ohms. Somebody know which are the most commom values used for fail-safe biasing?

2) Also for R3 and R8. I am using through hole resistors (250mW / CR25 body). Could I change them to 560 Ohms SMD 1206??? (because I am already this SMD value). That would be great!

3) Would be more suitable connect the fail-safe resistors directly to EIA485_A and EIA485_B nets, instead of connecting them to A and B nets ???

4) Maybe would be better to change the values of resistors R5 and R7 (inrush protection) ???

5) The differential voltage between A and B lines of an RS-485 bus is +- 5V, according to MAX487's datasheet. Is it recommended to place a 5V TVS diode between A and B nets? Like a SM05 TVS diode, for example? For differential protection?

Some recommendations for this schematic? Change components values?

Attachments

• SCH.pdf
    89.8 KB · Views: 88
  • SCH.png
    SCH.png
    125.6 KB · Views: 214

Status
Not open for further replies.