Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RS-485 Master/Slave switching

Status
Not open for further replies.

christov9

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I am doing a bit of research into RS-485 communication protocol. What I'm interested in is changing between master and slave mode (I need to change over the A/B pin on the RS-485 chip.)

Does anyone know how this is done/whats out there do do this for you or even if it can be done.

I apologize for the message being a bit vague, I have little to no experience with RS-485. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Master/slave role is a protocol layer property. It doesn't involve hardware changes for the RS-485 interface. Generally, both peers are
required to send and receive in a master-slave protocol. This is at least the case with RS-485 M/S protocols I know, e.g. MODBUS,
PROFIBUS, S-BUS.

FvM is right.. it is just a protocol change... RS-485 is a differential bus so both the lines are Tx/Rx.

So the change should be done in software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back