Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RS-232 Connector Confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

htekin42

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All,

I have a question. I have a Windows Terminal Device and It has 1 USB port.

I need 4x RS232 ports for my IO cards connection.

I thought that I can design a special board with a USB hub controller and than convert them to RS232 with FT232RL. Is it possible or not?

If yes, what is the connector pinout as PC side(DB9 Male)?

Also, I am confused about the cable. My device as Female connectors and I will going to make my own cables as 4.50 meters, 7,5 meters, and 12 meters.

One side will be male and other side will be female, Do I need to make handshake on them?

Also I asked to china seller and they told me female connector is standart female connection pinout.

Thanks to all
Best Regards.

Hi,

Look for
* FT4232 or
* FT4232 module

Also there are ready to buy USB to 4 x RS232 converters.

connector and pinout:

There are a lot of informations about this in the internet. Wikipeda for example.
This is where I´d look for.

Klaus

If you were assigned to design a specific board using RS232 communication, in general it is a good deed to define its pinout in such a manner that you can connect any standard pin-to-pin commercial cables ( e.g. the host'sTX to the device's RX and so on ). There is no problem to do that for 12m, it's under RS-232 standard specification.

Dear KlausST,

I want to make it as a commercial product. I mean If I get another RS232 board, I want to connect it directly.

On PC side always male connector I saw and device side sometimes male sometimes female.

So that, what should I do as pinout for commercial ones? I checked the google and I could not understand very well.I found this one.

db9-pinout.gif

But I found on google with both male and female is shown and they are same,

DSUB).jpg

so That If I try to make another board as device and it will be female and If same connection, it will not make communication because of not making handshaking on lines. I mean RX(PC)-->TX (Device) and TX(PC)-->RX(Device)

For commercial worldwide standart, what is the pinout for male and female connectors of Dsub 9 RS232 ports?
I could not find any standard file or something. I know I make wrong search to find them.:-:)-?

Thanks for your replies.
Best Regards.

Commercial DB-9 cables have a male/female connector on each side, each pin connected to the same number on another side ( 1-1, 2-2, ... , 9-9 )

As the pin out for the both male & female connectors shown the positions of the pins only will get changes whereas, the connections of the pins remain same.

Ex. Data carrier Detect is the signal which is on Pin Number 1 in both male & female connectors but the positions of the pins are only different.

These things are made to follow as a standard procedures. You will not find any issues if you follow the standard. As you said you need 4 ports with single USB you can go for FT4232 module

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back