Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

rotation angles in IMUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

senmeis

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I’ve read the following relationship: Yaw = Azimuth and Pitch = Elevation, at least for inertial measurement units. Does it apply for other applications?

What you said is absolutely correct, but what about the relationship? As far as I know Yaw and Pitch belong to Euler rotations which are often used for platforms such as aircrafts.

I’ve got this equivalence from an article about IMUs and wonder if it’s true for other applications.

You’re getting your bloomers in a bunch over nomenclature. Again, what do you mean by “other applications”? Give an example. aircraft? Ships? Ultimate frisbee?

Actually I’m interested in antennas mounted on moving platforms such as boats. I think antennas and telescopes have only azimuth and elevation but boats have yaw, pitch and roll. For mounted antennas Yaw = Azimuth and Pitch = Elevation. Roll doesn’t play a role in this case (at most polarisation). Does this make sense so far?

Ships also have sway, surge and heave. So? We’ve already established that yaw is synonymous azimuth, etc. I don’t understand your question, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.