Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Rogers PCB material for antenna design using milling process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techi

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I am designing antenna for 860Mhz-960Mhz antenna using Milling machine. I need guidance which rogers substrate is suitable for it?

Rogers has individual fabrication guidelines for each laminate type. You may want to consult them. As a first guess, I would expect, that any laminate, that is suited for PCB production can be milled somehow. Of course, the soft PTFE based substrates will create some difficulties when reproducing exact shapes and ceramic filled substrates will require durable tools.

You'll also find some general hints for intended application range and information about mechanical properties in the selection guides. Also Rogers representatives can surely tell aobout a reasonable choice.

LPKF claim that some of their machines are suitable for "Rogers RO4000, TMM®, RT/duroid® and similar substrates", which includes the teflon based materials.
LPKF ProtoMat S100

In general, the RO4000 series is compatible with "normal" PCB manufacturing technologies. My guess is that your machine can handle this.
RO3000®, RO3200

I've milled loads of PCBs using Rogers 4003 and 4350. The tools do wear out quicker compared to FR4 but not alarmingly so.

If you are planning on clearing large areas it might be worth milling the area outline and then peeling it away using heat and a scalpel/tweezers rather than waste end mill tools over big blank areas.

Hi GOHZU thanks for info. whats the optimized thickness value of substrate you have milled.

Not sure what you mean by optimized thickness but I've milled 0.020", 0.030", 0.032" and 0.060" thick Rogers 4003/4350 material without problems.

as gohzu noted thickness really shouldnt be an issue from milling point of view, depends on your antenna design. a more important question might be, why use such expensive substrate for low frequency stuff?

What is the minimum dimension in our design? The milling machine that I use in my university has a minimum resolution of 10 mils (0.010"), so I make sure that minimum width, spacing and other dimensions of my design are greater than 0.254 mm (or 0.3mm). As for the Rogers substrate, I used RO3010, 6010, 5870. And for frequency range you asked for , you can use any rogers substrate.

But if want to make your design compact, select a substrate with high dielectric constant such as 10.2 (RO3010 and RO6010).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back