Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ring oscillator design

Status
Not open for further replies.

allanvv

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Ring oscillator VCO design

I'm designing a ring oscillator VCO which can be low performance, since I won't care much about phase noise or great frequency stability. However, I will need a very wide tuning range of something like 1 MHz to 2 GHz with minimum amount of control signals (so simplicity is desired). Also, I don't have much concern about power usage.

When I see papers with ring oscillator test structures for instance, they use a large amount of stages, like 31. Why is this? Just to get a lower frequency?

Are the inverters typically minimum size? Is there any benefit in using bigger inverters, such as better reliability in case of process variations? Even a 31-stage oscillator in my process will be extremely fast. Should I use longer length transistors to slow it down or add more stages?

Any quick recommendations about the design in general for wide tuning range? I'm planning on using current starving, and bringing out an analog voltage to tune with. If this can't get the oscillation frequency slow enough, I'll also add in a digital control signal to switch in a bunch of capacitors at each inverter, or even just put a divide-by-N circuit in there.

edit: Also, linearity isn't important. This is for generating a clock, so outputs should be logic level.

Last edited:

Hello Allanvv

Regarding the number of stages, I think that one of the most reasons is the reduction of phase noise. It is inversely proportional to the number of stages. The minimum transistor sizes are required to reduce area. But in my option, you can increase it, resulting in less phase noise and variability.

Adding more stages and increasing the size of devices are both options to reduce the frequency. I don’t see any other factor behind it.
Regarding you plan to make it for wide frequency range, it seems to be perfect.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back