Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF transmitter module current varies with physical placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

penneyj

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I was trying to measure the current on the power supply of a 2.4GHz module transmitting at max RF power and I noticed that depending where I physically placed it on the bench and if I was touching the insulated power wires or not, or had my hand physically near the module, the current ranged from 125mA to 220mA.
Does that make sense? How can I take an accurate measurement?

Re: RF transmitter module current varies with physical place

FvM said:
Connect an artificial antenna (a 50 ohm resistor).

I was about to try that, I have an 0402 50 ohm tight tolerance part I used recently. I noticed when I have the spectrum analyzer plugged into a test port the readings are only varying by 3mA if I try to disturb the board with proximity to things so that's probably the correct measurement, which I'll compare to the 50 ohm test.

Thanks

It might be RF affecting your meter.

I find that typical cheap digital multimeters give incorrect readings with around 500mW at 30cm at 20-500MHz.

They are usually less sensitive to 2.4GHz but on current the leads can conduct RF straight into the meter.

A cheap analog meter that works on the current range without a battery is usually less sensitive to RF.

I'm using a Keithley source meter to supply the 3.3v and measure the current at the same time since I also need to measure the 10uA sleep currents and required something accurate. I assume that would give good measurements and I'm most likely affecting the antenna network by moving things around and getting different loads genuinely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back