Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

rf transceiver design in labview

Status
Not open for further replies.

turkom

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
rf transceiver.....

How I can increase the power output of an RF transceiver module with 10mW to about 500mW

Re: rf transceiver.....

How about paralleling 50 identical transceiverS? :) :) :)

Just kidding.......Buy a better PA......

Adding a Power Amplifier with 17dB gain.
The class of the PA depends by modulation what the transceiver is using.

Use an amplifier!
you can biuld your own or buy one.
Pay attention on the input power if you buy one.

hope this helps
bye

Hi,

You certainly need an external power aplifying stage (one or several power amplifiers dependent on the power gain of each amp).
What you also need to consider is regulative constraints in addition to battery drain and overall power consumption.
Good luck! :)

All the best

rf transceiver.....

it is up to your design,if you only want a simple structure,you can only add a PA that meet your disign requirement,such as IP3,gain and so on.

Added after 3 minutes:

add more:
there are different consideration in terminal to system equipment

Duh? If you have an existing Tranceiver, and you simply add a power amplifier between the transceiver and the antenna, the receiver portion will stop working (since the transmit amplifier has high loss in the reverse direction). Explain your transcevier a little more.

I also have a problem.

I have a transceiver that only outputs at 120mW. The device has one output/input for the antenna signal and another for the antenna screen. I would like to amplify when the transceiver is transmitting but not receiving.

Is this possible at all ?

I'm stumped

Cheers

Hi,

If your transceiver chip has a direct antenna connection pin ( doesn't have separated rf in and rf out) you can insert a PA between 2 switches. When you are transmitting, the signal goes through switch1 ->PA-> switch2 to the antenna, when you are receiving the antenna is connected through the switch2-> switch1 to the transceiver.
You have to solve the command signal to switch the direction.

The "antenna boosters" works in a similar way, and they are using a detector on the transcever side. The RF output signal of the transceiver has enough power level to be detected, and drive a comparator, which is used to drive the switches. When the transceiver is not transmitting, the switches are drived on the receiver path.

hope this help.

rgds,
Al

Catalyst said:
I also have a problem.

I have a transceiver that only outputs at 120mW. The device has one output/input for the antenna signal and another for the antenna screen. I would like to amplify when the transceiver is transmitting but not receiving.

Is this possible at all ?

I'm stumped

Cheers

You can do this, using two switches as in the attached picture.

Here annexed is the schematic.

The diodes are PIN diodes self-polarized by the incoming signal.

Mandi

FANT, interesting schematic. Are those normal PIN diodes? It looks like you would need a lot of RF to turn these on with self biasing, perhaps 100 mW +, and with the wrong diode could easily be 500 mw. Most unlicensed transmitters only put out 10 mW.

Also, why are the PIN diodes shown back to back? Once one of them starts to conduct, it will short out Rf on either polarity of the sine wave?

Sorry but now I don't remember the exact type, if I remember well they were from macom, but I think any type ( of course forthe proper frequency and power ) will work just fine.
The diodes are back to back to avoid any rectification effect, but it should not happen anyway.
At that time I had no simulation program, the circuit was working fine and so no further investigation.
The circuit ha an attenuation of some 3 dB and it requires at least 100 mW to drive the diodes.
Also the original circuit had some capacitors and inductors because the RF cable is supplying also the power supply for the amplifiers.

Important thing the LNA has to have an output saturated power lower than 0 dBm, to avoid self oscillation of the circuit.

Mandi

rf transceiver.....

use a two-stage amp!and you should consider about you system requirements. such as volume\weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.