Status
Not open for further replies.

myem

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Due to plating process , the conductor surface roughness is not smooth.
So I want to simulate the RF performance of conductor surface roughnes.
What tools can do it , ADS or HFSS ?

THANKS VERY MUCH

Hello myem,

Rough:
Metal surface roughness. This is the rms deviation of the
conductor surface from a plane. A rough surface increases losses in the line.

I think you can use APLAC tools to do this analysis, here are some of the articles
Stripline Simulation Models with Conductor Surface Roughness
**broken link removed**
www.aplac.hut.fi/publications/dt-sunde/sundstrom_thesis.pdf

Also some good online calculators are available...
http://mcalc.sourceforge.net/

of course any 3D EM tools ...

---manju---

In HFSS impedance boundary can be used to simulate the surface roughness effect in conductors.

Hello
I know ADS tline model has roughness parameter.
You need setup surface impedance in em tool (like momentum) to take into account roughness
If You want simulate surface current distribution -You need 3D solver and draw complicated geometry first...

You don't say where in the frequency band you are working. That is a fundamental issue.

HFSS might be able to give you some information but I suspect that it would require a very detailed model (e.g. Buckets of RAM to even run). To be more specific: HFSS can but it might not make sense to attempt the model in the first place.

Faced with this (vague) question I would be more inclined to speak with the technical support people at Rogers to see if they have test data and guidance that would be of use. I am suggesting that a simulator may not be the best path to a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…