Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF low power measurement using network analyzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharethewell

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Does anyone know how to measure RF power (output power, 10 mW) of a power amplifier with a network analyzer? Someone suggested me that I can do this but I don't know how. Could someone give me some ideas? Thanks a lot!

Some Network Analyzers are capable to measure power but it's not so accurate..
Power Meter is much better

Agilent new veersion NA can measurement power more accurate than old version.
You should calibrate the NA before using. The calibration have two methods: one is using external signal generator, and the other is using the internal signal generator of NA.
After calibration, you can measure your signal power precisely.

Does anyone know how to measure RF power (output power, 10 mW) of a power amplifier with a network analyzer? Someone suggested me that I can do this but I don't know how. Could someone give me some ideas? Thanks a lot!

First, be ABSOLUTELY sure you don't overdrive the receiver on the Network Analyzer. Check the NA's specs to make sure you don't blow out the front-end!!!! (very $$$$$$$$$ to fix)

The NA will give you forward gain very accurately. If you set the input source power to 0 dBm, then the gain value you read will be the output power in dBm. (input power + gain = output power... 0 dBm + 9 dB gain = 9 dBm). If you set your source power to -10 dBm, then the -10+gain will be your output power in dBm (-10 dBm + 9 dB gain = -1 dBm).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back